Community

This category contains 497 posts

New Beaty St. valuation is double Town of Davidson’s

By Kate Stevens. Development plans in this picture-postcard college town continue to move fast despite one volunteer organization’s efforts to preserve its trademark green space and hold elected officials accountable for what organization members say is unchecked growth. Save Davidson, an online Facebook group with more than 1,500 members, has mobilized since its inception in February, […]

CothamBT3

Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce Honors 2017 Diversity Champions

Me​cklenburg County Commissioner Pat Cotham has won the Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce​ Champion of Diversity Award for individuals. Well-known for her work for a diverse constituency—from transgender individuals to the homeless—Cotham is also a staunch opponent of the current plan for tolls on I-77. Realtor Kay Fisher was the finalist in the individual category. The […]

2_Chamber4BTsite

Message from the Chamber Chairman

By Jay Lesemann. From day one, the focus of the Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce has been to provide value for our members. For some, that ​value is delivered via our many networking events while others receive ​value by attending our monthly Focus Friday meetings that address local and state political issues and concerns. Some […]

4_Chamber4BTsite

Get involved in the Chamber

The Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce, with approximately 1,000 business members, has been serving the Lake Norman region since 1987. Many people join the Chamber to network and build stronger business connections through the mixers, Business After Hours and Before Hours events. The Chamber often hosts networking events with the Charlotte, Mooresville, Lincolnton and Statesville […]

3_Chamber4BTsite

Thirty Years: Top 10 Lake Norman Chamber Accomplishments

By Bill Russell. Recently I was asked by one of our Chamber members what I considered to be the most significant accomplishments since I was hired as its CEO in 1996. While changing the name from the North Mecklenburg Chamber to the Lake Norman Chamber certainly helped brand the association and buying property for an […]

1_Chamber4BTsite

The Lake Norman Chamber: On a mission since day one

In August of 1987, businessman John Cherry gathered approximately 50 people together at the old Home Federal Bank building at Exit 28 in Cornelius to discuss the formation of a North Mecklenburg Chamber of Commerce. The 20 to 25 businesses represented elected John president and created a board with 12 members. The initial 12 were […]

Hundreds attend anti-toll meeting in Mooresville

​B​y Dave Vieser. If there was any ​doubts t​hat people in Iredell County have significant concerns ​about​ the I-77 toll lane​s, they were erased ​in August​ ​when ​more than ​300 people showed up at the Charles Mack Citizen Center. The event was a community meeting on the controversial issue hosted by Widen I-77, ​the original​ […]

Mansion2sm

If your abode truly is a castle, it takes time to sell

Patience is a virtue when it comes to multimillion-dollar properties. The average DOM for $2 million-plus ​properties in Cornelius is 147, down 11 percent from same time last year. ​Nevertheless, Cornelius has a 9-month supply of inventory priced at more than $2 million, but that’s down 53 percent from this time last year. Spoken in […]

We can dream, but it’s time to act

OPINION. By Dave Yochum. Seeing the devastation in South Texas reminds me that we’re all people regardless of race, color or creed. Eight feet of water in your house will have you in over your head no matter who you are. In a disaster, there’s no doubt we’re all created equal. If only we were able […]

FB_art_BTsite

Social media confronts mainstream leaders

​By Kate Stevens. With local election primaries only two months away, online groups promoting political activism and levying criticism on Davidson, Cornelius and Mooresville leaders have never been more popular. But whether these online forums, convenient places to complain, cajole and promote change, can affect the region’s economic development process is still largely unknown, several […]